*This post may contain Affiliate Links which means we may earn from qualifying purchases you make via our website. Check out our Affiliate policy and what this means here.
GIF, or Graphics Interchange Format, are some of my favourite posts to create!
Regardless of how you pronounce it (it’s GGGIIIIFFF with a G not a J in case you were wondering) these animated images – usually just seconds long – have won our hearts and there’s no going back.
These days, GIFs are often used for laughs and they’re perfect for social media – it seems except Instagram who make it particularly difficult to post them!
Well, we have a workaround! Which I’m sharing in this blog post! But first, check out our Instagram HERE (and give us a follow) to see what we’ve been posting! Here’s a sneak peek of what I mean:
Why GIFS are so popular
The short answer? They’re funny, lighthearted, and relateable! Everything you want to be with your audience on social media and GIFs are the perfect balance between visual, comedy and messaging.
The problem? Instagram is a pain when it comes to GIFs and for a long time people didn’t realise there is a workaround! Which is what I wanted to explain today:
Using GIFs on Instagram
There are a few things you should know about GIFs and Instagram. Instagram has a GIF policy as the platform doesn’t support native GIF files. If this is so, then how do we post ours?
The answer is quite simple: you just need to put your creative hat on.
The best way to go about it is to use Kapwing which is the completely free tool that I use for all of ours! It’s an easy-to-use web app that lets you edit videos, images, and of course GIFs! (plus you don’t need an account to use it!)
Rules you need to know to publish a GIF on Instagram
- You have to publish your GIF as a ‘video file’ when uploading on Instagram.
- Keep in mind that the video should be more than 3 seconds.
- Then set the ratio to be the square
Creating Your GIF From Scratch
1. Go to Kapwing on your browser. You can access it under tools (pretty much anywhere you go)
2. Then go to the meme generator. When there you can pick templates or view the most popular or trending videos/pictures etc! (great for inspiration.)
3. Next, crop the video into Instagram format (1:1 as an Instagram post or 9:16 as an Instagram Story). Edit as you see fit with emojis or captions.
4. Then, and this is the important part, go to ‘Settings’ > and change the output so that the file is a video file. (Don’t forget your video needs to be at least 3 seconds or Instagram still won’t post it!)
5. Then export your new image, wait for it to generate and then download it so you can post or schedule on Instagram.
And VOILA! If you use this guide tag us on Instagram in your images and GIFs – can’t wait to see them.